Andover's history begins long before its formation as a town in 1824-even before the first white settler established a farm in Elm Valley, or others built their log dwellings on the banks of Dyke's Creek in 1807. Retreating glaciers created inland seas teeming with life. Nature eventually transformed these into hills and valleys filled with fossil-rich deposits and wilderness habitats.
When the number of log houses had increased and frame homes were added, the village was born-and many names of the original residents are still seen on the street signs and in the telephone directory.
An incorporated village with a population of approximately 1100, Andover is located in the southeastern corner of Allegany County, about fifteen miles from the Pennsylvania border.
At the junction of routes 21 and 417, it is conveniently near the scenic east-west New York Highway 17 which connects it to Jamestown and Elmira. Linked by major expressways to Buffalo and Rochester, there is an easy access to metropolitan shopping malls, cultural activities, and international airports.